We are committed

At Juniper we are committed to nurturing the spirit of life in each individual we serve so that they may live fully throughout all seasons of life. To us this means understanding an individual, not only their needs but their desires and responding with programs and services which provide for the highest quality of life possible. Our Alive in All Seasons program of activities is designed to foster healthy bodies, enriched minds and fulfilled spirits. These pictures and stories are living proof that we at Juniper are dedicated to walking our talk!



Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Price of Perfection - Lessons Learned by our Director of Community Relations Anne Gross


So what lessons have I learned from those moments in my past referenced in my last postHere are just a few:

1.        Sharing your vulnerabilities with others enhances compassion.  For example, if my mother and I could have shared her embarrassment when strangers stared at her when we went out, we both could have empathized with each other about our unique situation.  And if she could have shared with me how she yearned to be able to walk down the street with me eye to eye – instead of my pushing her in a wheelchair – I could have expressed my feelings of loss that I had a mother who couldn’t do the things that others mothers could, increasing tenderness both for myself and for my mother. 

2.        Intimacy derives from our ability to share both our strengths and our weaknesses.  My mother could never express her emotional and physical needs to others – such as what it was like when others left her do the things she couldn’t do.  Without a voice of her own, it was those closest to her who decided how she needed to deal with her disability, leading her to often feel misunderstood and angry.  To have a say in how we want to be treated we need to share both our strengths and our vulnerabilities.  

3.        It is important in the face of adversity to seek out others like yourself.  There is no better way to learn about yourself than to befriend others with similar struggles, helping you to realize that your feelings are “normal.”  This realization alone helps you deflate your sense of differentness and deficiency, making it easier to open up with others.
Most importantly, it is never too late to start such discussions with family members.  The next time your adult child visits, try talking to her about certain “taboo” topics in your family.  Who knows, it might open up lines of communication and intimacy that have long been buried.  

Image from Stockimages on http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment